Looking for a few healthy, delicious paleo snack recipes to stave off light night munchies during the quarantine? If you’re stuck inside the house, here are a few recipes you can try this week!
Looking for a few healthy, delicious paleo snack recipes to stave off late-night munchies? If you’re stuck inside the house with nothing (healthy) to snack on, we have a few recipes you can try this week!
Studies have shown that while people are quarantined during the stay at home orders, we are prone to eating more and eating “comfort junk foods” as a response to stress, or what’s readily available at the grocery stores.
The silver lining of staying at home is we have more time to prepare meals and healthy snacks the way we want, or we can have healthy meals delivered to our door. If you are really concerned over limiting contact with strangers, nutritious mail-order meals like Caveman Chefs might be preferable over pizza delivery.
Registered dietitian Ashley Koff, chief executive of the online resource the Better Nutrition Program, based in Columbus, Ohio says, “My clients are calling it the COVID-20”, in reference to fears of gaining that much unwanted weight before this is all over. “We’re all in a situation where the gym is shut down, we’re home a lot, we’re stressed, and it’s making it easy to overeat.” –LA Times
So, what do we do when we’re feeling snacky at 9 PM? Skip the junk foods and opt for healthy alternatives to keep you feeling good, like these paleo snack recipes that keep for weeks in your refrigerator. Don’t feel like cooking? We have listed a few paleo-friendly snacks you can buy and keep on hand, too!
1. Paleo Fruit and Nut Bars
These paleo snack bars are gluten-free and vegan! this is the easiest, most customizable, healthy, gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and AWESOME paleo approved snack bars recipe ever. It’s so easy to make, deliciously chewy, and packed with healthy nuts and seeds. Add your favorite paleo-friendly dried fruits, too. Get the Recipe Here
2. Paleo Banana Snack Cakes
This naturally sweetened cake made with bananas tastes decadent enough to be served as a birthday cake. The key is using VERY ripe bananas! Make it your own and mix it up with optional dark chocolate chips or even applesauce if you’re not a fan of banana. This quick, easy 7 ingredient recipe is everything you want in a healthy snack cake. Get the Recipe Here
Love pancakes? Check out our Paleo Banana Pancake recipe
3. Sea Salt and Dill Crackers
These grain-free Paleo snack crackers use almond meal and are easier to make than you think. The dough is easily whisked together and then rolled out between two sheets of parchment paper to create the flat crackers. Feel free to swap out the dill in this recipe for your favorite herb, whether it is rosemary, cracked pepper, oregano, or thyme.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, dill, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, olive oil, and honey. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well to combine.
Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment paper. Cover with a second sheet of paper and roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Peel back the top layer of paper and cut the dough into squares. Sprinkle with additional sea salt if desired.
Place the parchment paper with the squares onto a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
4. Seasoned Baked Kale Chips
Want a paleo snack that’s salty and savory? Kale is a healthy alternative to potato or corn chips. In this recipe segment, Valerie Bertinelli shares one of her family’s favorite snacks: seasoned kale chips (seasoned 3 ways, of course). Choose from Kosher Salt, Italian Seasoning or Old Bay. The great part about this recipe is you can customize it with your own seasonings (BBQ?). One recipe tester said, “They turned out light & crispy. We didn’t think we’d ever eat kale, but this recipe makes kale delicious!” The secret to getting the right crisp is slow and low at 300 degrees or a convection oven setting. Get the Recipe Here
Paleo Snacks to Buy
Don’t feel like cooking? That’s fair. Here’s a few top-rated paleo snacks you can buy or have delivered:
- Heather’s Choice Blueberry Almond Packaroons are the perfect snack on the go as a single serving. What is a ‘Packaroon’? It’s a high-calorie coconut macaroon for your backpack available in eight delicious flavors. These dehydrated cookies contain no artificial flavors, MSG, fillers, or preservatives. Shop online here
- 72%-100% Cocoa Dark Chocolate. Dark chocolate with over 72 percent cacao is considered “paleo-friendly.” Most 100% dark chocolate bars are too bitter to be enjoyable, however, Montezuma’s 100% Cocoa Solids Dark Chocolate Absolute Black with Cacao Nibs is a pick suited for bitter-chocolate-lovers. Find it at Trader Joe’s
- Plantain Chips. Corn is off the menu when you’re going Paleo. But that doesn’t mean you have to say goodbye to chips. Plantain chips are a much friendlier option for those following a Paleo diet. Find this delightful snack at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods Market.
- Mixed nuts and dried fruits. Sometimes just a simple trail mix created will all of your favorite nuts, seeds, and dried fruits are the best choice. Add in a few dark chocolate pieces or keep it simple with coconut flakes, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Mix it up with dried banana slices or cranberries, too. The bulk foods aisle at your grocery store will be the perfect place to start in creating your favorite, customized trail mix.
Get delicious, nutritious Paleo, Keto and Whole30-approved meals delivered to your door-fresh or frozen! Order Now