A common question most people ask when they’re first starting a Paleo diet is, “what can I drink on a Paleo diet?” Water is best, however, you can rest easy knowing Paleo drinks aren’t limited to just water. In fact, you can incorporate alcoholic beverages into your paleo diet in moderation.
For the holiday season, we have concocted a paleo-friendly drink to warm up your evening and your spirits as you celebrate.
Paleo Hot Cider with Bourbon and Grass-Fed Butter
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 6 tbs whole cloves
- 2 tbs cinnamon sticks
- 4 tsp unsalted grass-fed butter chilled
- 1 1/2 cups Kentucky Bourbon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon
- 1 tbs ground nutmeg for garnish
- Combine first four ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add bourbon and lemon juice.
- Strain cider into a large pitcher
- Cut butter into four pieces
- Divide butter between four mugs
- Pour over hot cider
- Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg and serve and cinnamon stick
This hot cider and bourbon recipe is perfect for any holiday party or winter gathering around the fire. For those following a paleo diet, nothing beats a mug of this hot cider. It’s a cup of goodness with warmly spiced cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon, and grass-fed unsalted butter. Check out our other Paleo recipes for the holiday and every day!
Photo credit: Rebecca Ann