Are you looking for a delicious and unique dessert recipe for the holidays? Feast your eyes on our latest mouth-watering paleo pear and pomegranate pie recipe, created by our very own Caveman Chef, David Kenney.
With just a little time prepping and baking, this pie will quickly become a big family favorite for the holidays.
Pear Pomegranate Paleo Pie
- Crust Recipe:
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup arrowroot
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil room temperature
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 T coconut oil melted
- 3 1/2 T coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 of your favorite pears not too ripe
- 1 Pomegranate seeds removed
- Pinch of fresh sage for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Spoon coconut, in small pieces, into a bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes (think butter tabs).
- Place coconut flour, arrowroot, chilled coconut oil, and salt into a food processor and pulse gently until coconut oil peces are pea sized. Add water and pulse a couple times until just incorporated. Be careful not to over mix
- Place mixture in pie dish and spread evenly with your fingers throughout dish and sides. Prick the bottom with a fork, then gently brush with melted coconut oil.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until brown. Set the pie crust aside when complete and let cool.
- While the crust is baking, core and slice the pears in 1/4inch slices. Set one sliced pear to the side
- Heat the coconut oil, pomegranate juice and sugar in a small to medium sized saucepan. Cook over medium high heat for 10-15 minutes or until syrup consistency. Let cool slightly
- Add the syrup mixture to a blender with the reserved pear, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Puree on high until smooth. Set aside
- Increase oven temperature to 350*. Pinwheel pear slices in pre-made pie crust. Pour the syrup mixture over the arranged pears and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and fresh sage. Enjoy! You deserve it!
For more delicious paleo holiday recipes, click here
Photo Credit: Rebecca Ann Photography